David De Gea out again, Bastian Schweinsteiger may get full debut
Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea will sit out a fourth game when Newcastle visit Old Trafford on Saturday but Bastian Schweinsteiger could make his full debut for his new club.
United manager Louis van Gaal has suggested that Real Madrid target De Gea will not feature while the transfer window remains open, meaning he will also miss their Champions League playoff second leg against Club Brugge and the trip to Swansea City on Aug. 30.
- Atletico sell Jackson Martinez to Chinese club for €42m
- How your Premier League side did in the transfer window
- Prem spending hits £1bn | Imbula joins Stoke for £18.3m
- Bayern loan Tasci | Doumbia to Newcastle | Sanogo loan
- Anderlecht sign Buttner | Perotti to Roma | Eder to Lille
- Fletcher to Marseille | Van Ginkel get PSV | Powell loan
- Fer to Swansea | Fazio rejoins Sevilla | Jones, N.E. talks?
- FC TV: Not sure Teixeira's worth the money | Paul Pogba
- LIVE: Transfer Talk | Done deals | ENG | SPA | GER | ITA | FRA
The Spain international, who has won United's Player of the Year award in the last two seasons, has not even been on the bench for their first three competitive games because of Van Gaal's concerns about his state of mind.
And he said in a news conference: "[On] De Gea, I have said that we shall evaluate it on the first of September."
Van Gaal gave an indication he thinks Schweinsteiger is finally approaching full fitness by saying the German, who exerted an influence after coming on at half-time against in the 3-1 first-leg win over Brugge, is closing in on a start.
The World Cup winner, who joined from Bayern Munich in July, has come off the bench in each of United's first three games but had missed the preseason encounter with Barcelona because of a calf problem.
"It is only a matter of time before he starts and maybe it will happen tomorrow [Saturday]," he told MUTV.
ENTER NOW: ESPN FC Premier League fantasy
- Q&A: Time to select your Premier League fantasy squad
- Sign up for our game and challenge your friends
- Join the Fantasy Football Scout league
- How to play the game -- fantasy rules in full
- FAQ: All your game questions answered
- Transfers: Check out the latest Premier League moves
- Fantasy HQ: Email us with your issues
Van Gaal confirmed defender Marcos Rojo is still not match fit. The Argentina international has not played first-team football since the Copa America final and was unable to link up with his club on their preseason tour of the United States because of passport issues.
United will again be without midfielder Marouane Fellaini, who serves the last match of a three-game ban he incurred when he was sent off at Hull in May.
United have no new injury worries and while Phil Jones, who has mild thrombosis, is also out, the centre-back is on the comeback trail.
"Only Jones, who is still ill [is unavailable]," Van Gaal said. "But he's getting better and has done some running."