Oldham want Paul Scholes as manager by weekend - sources
Oldham Athletic are attempting to appoint former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes as manager before Saturday's League Two clash against Morecambe, sources have told ESPN FC.
Scholes, 44, is still to finalise a deal to take his first steps into management due to ongoing discussions over his role as a part-owner of Salford City.
As reported by ESPN FC on Jan. 20, talks between Oldham and Scholes have been in progress for over a week and there had been a desire on both sides for Scholes to be in place in time for Tuesday's trip to MK Dons.
But the issue surrounding Scholes' 10 per cent stake in National League club Salford has yet to be resolved and is delaying the 44-year-old's ability to take over at Oldham, who have been without a permanent since the sacking of Frankie Bunn on Dec. 27.
Rule 103.1.3 of the English Football League handbook, which addresses the issue of dual interests and ownership, states: "Except with the prior written consent of the (Football League) Board, no club may, either directly or indirectly, be involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management of administration of another football club."
While that rule would appear to mean that there would be no immediate issue of Scholes managing Oldham at the same time as being a part-owner of a National League club, there would be a clear conflict of interest in the event of Salford -- sitting second, three points off the top in the National League -- being promoted to the Football League this season.
Such an outcome would almost certainly see Salford and Oldham, in mid-table in League Two, playing in the same division in the Football League next season.
Should that happen, the understanding is that Scholes would either have to dispense with his shares in Salford or step down from the position of manager at Oldham if he were to accept the task of managing the club in the coming days.
The Class of 92 group -- Scholes, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt and David Beckham -- own 60 per cent of Salford, with Peter Lim, a Singapore businessman, owning the other 40 per cent.
Sources have told ESPN FC that discussions between Oldham, Scholes and the Football League are ongoing in an effort to clarify any issues and requirements which may emerge should Scholes take the manager's job.
Pete Wild, the coach of Oldham's Academy team, will continue take caretaker charge of the team this week, but club owner Abdallah Lemsagam remains determined to appoint Scholes manager.